So you’ve decided you want a career in IT – good move. However, there are many different graduate jobs in the field and you’ll need to work out which one suits you best.
The fact that you’ve come this far suggests you’re good with numbers and problem solving. These attributes are essential to all graduate IT roles. Some positions, however, require excellent communication skills. Do you enjoy dealing with people? How do you feel about working in teams? Before you can hone your job search, you need to ask these kinds of questions — and answer them honestly.
You can see the most popular roles below. There are certain skills that will be common to all of these: the ability to work under pressure and as part of a team, a willingness to keep up to date with technological developments and to organise your own workload.
This list shows some of the attributes particular to each role.
Junior database administrator:
• high level of accuracy and attention to detail
• budget awareness
• ability to explain technical issues clearly – you may have to train end users
• ability to put databases into their wider business context
• good understanding of data protection and security issues.
Search for junior database admin roles.
Junior helpdesk support analyst:
• in-depth knowledge of popular systems and software
• excellent people skills
• ability to explain solutions clearly in a non-technical way
• an understanding of knowledge management
• good admin and record keeping skills.
Search for support analyst roles.
Junior project manager:
• excellent leadership skills
• methodical and structured approach to work
• excellent written and spoken communication skills
• ability to be flexible and to negotiate
• good understanding of business demands
• ability to work to tight budget limits
• good time management skills.
Search for junior project manager roles.
Graduate network administrator:
• ability to prioritise a range of tasks
• ability to explain technical issues clearly – you will probably have to train end users
• ability to plan schedules of work months in advance.
Search for network administrator roles.
Graduate software developer:
• good knowledge of a range of hardware, software and programming languages
• ability to interpret technical plans
• creative approach to problem solving
• an understanding of Computer Aided Software Engineering (CASE) tools
• ability to work with non-technical people
• an appreciation of clients’ business needs
• an understanding of confidentiality and data protection issues.
Search for software developer roles.
Graduate systems analyst:
• a broad knowledge of hardware, software and programming
• a creative approach to problem-solving
• the ability to gather and interpret complex information
• the ability to see IT systems in their wider business/organisational context
• good budgeting skills.
Search for systems analyst roles.
Junior web developer:
• a good appreciation of web design, usability issues and interactivity
• ability to turn clients' ideas into workable plans
• ability to follow exact instructions
• an understanding of international web development standards
• ability to work both as part of a team and on your own.
Search for web developer roles.
Employers are increasingly interested in well-rounded graduates who understand the wider business environment. If you are interested in a client-facing job, a finance, management or engineering specialisation as part of your degree will help. It will give you a better understanding of the issues your clients face, their attitudes and the language they use.
For an accurate assessment of your own interests and aptitudes, take this profiling test to get a sense of what you might be suited to.
- The Government's careers advice website has information about different job roles
- Get a free CV health check with the Fuller CV
- How to write your cover letter
Search IT roles:
- Search for IT contract jobs
- Search for IT support jobs
- Search for graduate IT jobs
Search IT sectors:
- Search for banking and finance IT jobs
- Search for public sector IT jobs
- Search for telecoms jobs