Junior Software Developer
ACT is one of the fastest growing technology companies in the UK and we believe in young talent contributing to our continued success.
Junior Software Developer Role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed Computer Science degree graduate with 1 to 2 years’ experience in software development to join ACT’s new software development team to be based in our Manchester office.
- You could be involved in the development of various existing ACT products; such as the HOPS (ITSO-certified secure journey transaction engine) CMS (Customer Management System), GEL (loyalty product), Discovery (tourism product) or one of our extensive retailing and fulfillment POST products.
- You will primarily be involved in defect investigation/resolution, enhancements to existing functionality and testing. An eye for detail and focus on quality is required, using a test driven approach incorporating unit and integration testing of code.
- During your first year you will be assigned a mentor who will help develop your technical and work place based skills. You will benefit from an established programme of mentoring and knowledge share, with the opportunity to transfer between project teams and advance your skills and career.
- Experience of Java development (Java 1.6 or later preferred)
- Object-oriented software design and design patterns
- Development Environment – Eclipse or NetBeans
- Experience of SQL
- Knowledge of source control systems (CVS, SVN, GIT)
- Unit testing
- Review code for conformance to coding guidelines
- Ability to re-design or re-factor code
- Ability to execute performance testing and profiling
- Show an awareness and understanding of software design, development and lifecycles
- Undertake the design of discrete items of functionality
- Involved in the peer reviewing of designs
- Excellent communication skills and fluent in English; written and verbal.
- Computer Science Degree.
- A minimum of 12 months commercial experience.
- Active interest in software development technologies
- Basic awareness of software development processes.
- Disciplined and organised.
- Keen team player.
- Enthusiastic and proactive.
- Salary - £22,000 - £28,000
- 24 days holidays (plus bank holidays) rising to 26 days in 3rd year of service and a further 1 days holiday every 2 years, up to 30 days.
- Healthcare cash plan (family cover)
- Worldwide holiday travel insurance (family cover)
- Matched pension scheme
- Life Assurance (x 3 salary)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers