Development Operations / Software Engineer, Newcastle upon Tyne
Salary up to £33,000
In line with their progressive 2014 hiring plan; my client has an opening for a Development Operations (DevOps) Engineer to join their rapidly expanding Development & QA team. Located in our EMEA Headquarters in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, this is an exciting time to join them as they grow and bring new features to their already award winning software.
My client is seeking a talented, intelligent person to join their DevOps team and will be responsible for the configuration management, the build process and the deployment of the client to their 3 international data centres. As a motivated individual who takes pride in providing a prompt, high quality service to their internal customers you will have the opportunity to build out our current build & release environment into a state-of-the-art solution that meets our current & future needs. The successful candidate will be responsible for the build services for a variety of releases and will assist in adding new components to the build, developing release upgrade scripting, and developing and improving tools to automate, monitor, and streamline the build process. This is a fantastic opportunity to join an international company as they continue their ambitious growth plans and global progression, whilst maintaining a local focus on talent.
- Primary responsibility for the automated build & deployment systems for the client, which includes, regular (daily or as assigned) delivery of builds to the Dev, QA and IT Operations teams; creation of releasable and deployable system updates; and the timely response to and resolution of any issues impacting the delivery of the builds and releases.
- Supports the Development team(s) and IT Operations team(s) by maintaining and developing internal tools and systems.
- Works with the Software Architect, Development and IT Operations teams to develop the automated deployment and upgrade strategy of software enhancements, bug fixes and new features.
- Performs product design, development, bug verification, testing and support of the internal build and release infrastructure supporting continuous integration, unit testing, daily build to multiple servers and production builds.
- Creates and maintains automated, scalable build scripts/tools, and monitors, maintains and supports the automated build & deployment systems.
- Collaborates with the Development team(s) to assemble software releases, to resolve build errors and to perform branching of new builds. Seeks buy-in from the Development team(s) on source code configuration management best practices and branching strategies.
- Assists with planning / maintenance of development, integration and testing environments.
- Produces build and deployment related documentation and best practices including diagrams of the build process and development environments.
- Works with IT Operations to deploy releases to the 3 globally distributed data centres hosting the clients and others products that may be offered.
- Tracks the status of assigned project tasks to insure timely completion, maintain communication with stakeholders regarding progress of work, and notify appropriate parties when open issues have been resolved.
- Investigates and, if necessary, prototypes technologies and algorithms relating to a build system enhancement.
- BSc in Computer Science, Computer Graphics, Mathematics, or equivalent is desirable.
- 2+ years’ experience as a DevOps \ Build Engineer (or similar) developing \ monitoring automated build & release and continuous integration systems.
- Experience with source code management & build systems, in particular Microsoft Team Foundation Server.
- Familiarity with Windows operating system.
- Unit testing frameworks, in particular MS Test & nUnit.
- Familiarity with scripting languages, such as Perl, Ruby, VB Script or Python.
- Microsoft SQL Server.
- C# / ASP.Net programming skills desired but not essential.
Salary up to £33,000