ObjectRocket (a Rackspace Company) is seeking outstanding engineers to help provide great experiences for our Cloud Big Data, MongoDB-as-a-Service and Redis customers.
We own the entire stack (hardware and software) so that means you’ll need to find and resolve issues at all levels. To do this successfully you’ll be switching hats often, from Systems Administrator resolving a configuration problem on a machine, to DBA digging into production data stores to identify issues, to Software Developer troubleshooting customer code. You’ll have the opportunity to work with a broad range of technologies – Hadoop, MongoDB and Redis in particular.
Additionally, you’ll be responsible for owning the full customer experience; this includes communication with customers via our ticketing system, working complex problems, and owning issues through to resolution.
You’re a seasoned Systems Administrator and technical jack-of-all-trades with top-notch people skills looking to join a small team building huge things. You prefer an agile work environment and possess the self-motivation to thrive in it. Your written communication skills are the stuff of legends. You have an uncanny ability to solve issues with technologies you’ve never seen before after a few minutes of research. You are, above all, a problem solver.
The Must Haves:
- Tenured Linux knowledge, CentOS/RHEL preferred and/or Ubuntu
- Functional virtualization knowledge – KVM, Xen, OpenVZ
- Experience in deploying, configuring & optimizing Hadoop, MongoDB and/or Redis
- Database Experience – MongoDB, Redis or other NoSQL solutions preferred. Relational Database knowledge a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of bash/shell scripting, and working knowledge in at least one other language, Python & Java preferred.
- Excellent written communication skills
- Prior training or experience installing, configuring & optimizing Hadoop, MongoDB or Redis
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
The Good to Haves:
- Working knowledge of storage tech – SSDs, RAID, lvm2
- Nagios/Icinga and New Relic experience.
- Experience administering Web & Application servers – Apache, Nginx, Gunicorn
- Active in the technical and open source community – blogging, tweeting, active github account (e.g. participating in blogging, tweeting and social coding are all very desirable)
- Working knowledge of Rackspace systems, tools & process
- Knowledge of Postgres, Cassandra, or other RDBMS technologies
- Database administration experience with other NoSQL solutions (e.g HBase and Elasticsearch)
- Experience with the Hortonworks Sandbox environment
In this role you will:
- Manage and maintain thousands of production customer databases
- Automate and innovate new ways to manage large database clusters
- Push the limits of MongoDB, then blog about it
- Work with cutting edge technology in the cloud computing space
- Provide Fanatical Support to Rackers and our customers through innovative solutions
- Create sustainable and maintainable environments
- Install, configure, update and troubleshoot a HUGE MongoDB environment
- Collaborate with Engineers and System Administrators on technical issues
- Be part of the community. Attend conferences and meetups
Do you have what it takes? Do you have the passion to build Fanatical outcomes for our customers every day? Accept the challenge — JOIN US!