Salary range: £30,196 to £38,088pa plus excellent benefits. Applications will be considered on an on-going basis.
A market supplement of £1,965 per annum (non -pensionable) may also be available, this is dependent on skills and experience. This is offered in recognition of the current market value of certain skills and technologies and will therefore be subject to review.
We are seeking the best Software Developers to work in the development of high throughput laboratory management systems (LIMS) to meet the increasing informatics needs of our world class scientific institute and collaborative projects.
At the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, based south of Cambridge, you will have the opportunity to make a difference at one of the world's leading research centres delivering extraordinary improvements in human and animal health.
What we can offer
- We encourage personal professional growth and actively create opportunities for development through exposure to all elements of the software and database development life cycle.
- The opportunity for collaborative work with developers coding in Java using the Spring Framework deployed to Linux and Windows environments.
- A working environment encompassing world class computational and data centre facilities.
- The Institute has a first names culture, informal dress code and there is an active company social calendar. All set in modern offices in the 55 acre grounds of Hinxton Hall and associated wet land reserve.
- A reputable degree in Computing science or demonstrable equivalent experience of the same level and some work experience in practical software development.
- An in depth knowledge of Java and web development using the Spring Framework.
- Experience with current software development tools and practice including Eclipse, Maven, unit testing and version control.
- In addition, you will have sound working knowledge of at least one discipline in;
- Design, population and query of relational database systems. (preferably Oracle).
- Human Computer Interaction (HCI) and/or a passion for user experience (UX).
- Development with JQuery and CSS.
- Development with JDBC and experience of bespoke SQL querying.
- Agile project methodologies.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
Our benefits package includes 25 days annual leave (increasing 1 day for every year's service to maximum 30 days), premier private healthcare, onsite gym, onsite nursery, free transport to and from campus to local area and a defined benefits pension scheme.Positions are available on a permanent and fixed-term basis. Please indicate if you would not like to be considered for a fixed-term position on your application.
Apply on line submitting a CV and covering letter. If you are short listed you will be sent a design or coding test prior to interview.